Thursday, December 24, 2009

December 24-It's Christmas Eve!

We just checked Santa's progress-He's already been spotted over New Zealand and Asia-Kids better be on their best behavior (including my own)! I'm trying to behave today although it can be so difficult most of the time.

We had a wonderful dinner with Ethan's girlfriend last night-I cooked pinto beans, cornbread, butternut squash, and turnip greens-yep, I went all out with some high class cooking. Ashley brought a wonderful homemade apple pie that was delicious.

Before we went to dinner we went to church for the musical cantata which was supposed to have been Sunday morning but due to the snow, it was postponed to last night. It was even more impressive having the service at night, the youth had luminaries all around the church, there is still snow everywhere and it was just so moving and spiritual. The music was spectacular-we are blessed with an incredible choir-lead by our pastor who has a passion for music amoung other things. I was wondering how this wonderful experience was here is Union Grove, NC as we are a small rural community. "Still, Still, Still" is now my favorite Christmas song-I can't get it out of my mind-it was there first thing this morning when I woke up-how cool is that? This is truly a special place.

I really wanted to post photos of THE igloo so I am going to attempt getting that done. I'm sorry to say the temps today are predicted to reach the 50s and the sun is shinning so some real damage is going to be done on the snow.

For North Carolina having snow at Christmas is REALLY a big deal! I don't remember ever seeing Christmas lights in the snow before, but they have been beautiful. There is always beauty to be seen, but sometimes it is just so special we have to catch it when we can.
I wish a Merry Christmas to all. I hope Santa Claus finds everyone and you have been behaving. If not, a lump of coal or a bag of switches can be used for so many things......

I don't mind Happy Holidays-I used that before it was cool (or uncool). Now I feel it has became a political statement if I say Happy Holidays-I don't like that....Growing up, my family always celebrated the holiday season from Christmas through New Years-the holiday season. A tree and decorations will never come down in my house before January 1 as this IS the Holiday Season.
Christmas is a part of the holiday season which includes New Years, Hannakah, Festivas, Santa Claus, etc....

Don't forget to remember the twelve days of Christmas which starts tomorrow and ends January 6. Folks used to decorate their trees and homes on Christmas Eve for the Holidays and celebrate until Januray 6-now known as "Old Christmas"
Whatever your preference, I hope you take the time to reflect on the season.

Now I MUST wrap gifts, bake and I'm sure "make a run to town"......tomorrow is Christmas Day!

To quote C Clement Moore: " Happy Christmas to all.......and to all a good night."

L

No comments:

Post a Comment